The yacht skipper or captain is a very important title that offers many benefits, such as to govern many types of boats and to have access to navigate on the coast for long distances (up to 150 miles).
However, to hold this title, you must meet certain requirements: pass an exam, hold the title of skipper of pleasure boats and be of legal age.
If you want to know what are the attributions of a skipper or yacht captain, continue reading…
Attributions of a skipper or yacht master
As for the attributes of a yacht skipper, we can indicate the following:
- With this title you can sail motor and sailing boats up to a total of 24 meters in length.
- You can sail up to 241 kilometers from the coast.
- You can sail both during the day and at night without any problems.
- Various professional services can be provided to the public, such as transportation, maneuvering in harbors and beaches, testing and lifeguarding.
- The yacht captain will be able to handle any jet ski regardless of type or design.
- Tourist and fishing excursions are possible, with a total of 6 passengers.
- The boats can be transferred between ports.
- Among others.
There is no doubt that the yacht captain attributions grant many benefits, since it opens the doors to the individual to carry out different activities on land and sea.
Conditions to become a skipper or yacht captain
To obtain the title of yacht skipper, the following conditions must be fulfilled:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- You must be a recreational boat skipper, in order to be eligible for the yacht skipper title.
- You must have the title of radio operator.
- You must pass the theoretical exam corresponding to the yacht skipper certificate.
- Regarding safety and navigation, all the corresponding practices must be passed.
The psycho-physical aptitude test must be taken.
Regardless of these conditions or requirements, the professional yachtmaster qualifications are very beneficial, therefore, it is worthwhile to have this title, especially for people who work with boats.
What are attached qualifications?
It is a title that can be acquired by yacht captains. In this case, the attached qualifications allow to steer boats that are not for commercial purposes, but for recreational purposes!
Therefore, the attached qualifications will allow the yacht captain or skipper to do the following:
- To provide supply transport services in inland waters (at a maximum distance of 5 nautical miles from the port or beach).
- Mooring, anchoring, towing or displacement of vessels.
- Likewise, if the vessel is to be moved to another port, it may not exceed a distance of 5 miles.
- Conduct sea trials to all types of maritime transport.
- Remember that all recreational activities carried out, may not exceed the number of passengers or the volume of cargo designed for the vessel.
What to do with the PER?
Currently, the PER has acquired new professional attributions, in order to be able to exercise some activities as skipper of recreational vessels: 5 miles from the port, day and night navigation, among others.
However, all activities have certain conditions. For example, you need the PER title and to complete certain basic courses on the rules of the sea.
On the other hand, the PER allows you to govern the following vessels:
- Recreational boats for profit.
- Non-profit recreational vessels.
- Administration, defense and rescue vessels.
Additionally, some of the vessels have to be authorized by the yacht captain, so that the person with the PER certificate can handle them. Continuing with the subject, the tasks that an individual with PER title can perform are:
- Transporting supplies to pleasure boats.
- Authorization to dock, moor and anchor some types of maritime vehicles.
- To carry out sea trials on vessels.
- To be a crew member on recreational vessels.
- To be a boat lifeguard.